General Poetry Submissions
Words Dance publishes accepted poetry paired with art from our monthly featured artist every Tuesday & Thursday on our website.
We are especially interested in poems by writers of color, queer writers, trauma survivors, neurodivergent writers, disabled writers, poems by women/femmes/nonbinary persons, & other marginalized voices.
At Words Dance, we want visceral & trenchant writing. We like Poems that sneak up on you. Poems that make out with you. Poems that bloody your mouth just to kiss it clean. Poems that bite the inside of your cheek so you spend all day tonguing the wound. Poems that vandalize your heart. Poems that act like a tin can phone connecting you to your childhood. Fire Alarm Poems. Glitterbomb Poems. Jailbreak Poems. Poems that could marry the land or the sea; that are both the hero & the villain. Poems that are the matches when there is a city-wide power outage. Poems that throw you overboard just to dive in & save your ass. Poems that push you down on the stoop in front of history’s door screaming at you to knock. Poems that are soft enough to fall asleep on. Poems that will still be clinging to the walls inside of your bones on your 90th birthday. We like poems. Submit yours.
General Poetry Submission Guidelines:
- New here? Check out what we are publishing here.
- Send 3-5 of your best poems in one file. If you send less than 3 poems your submission will not be considered.
- We do not accept previously published work.
- Simultaneous submissions are okay. If you do decide to send in a simultaneous submission, please let us know immediately if your work was accepted elsewhere by sending us a note on Submittable including the title(s) of the poem(s) or by withdrawing your submission & resubmitting.
- Make sure your name does not appear anywhere in the document or submission title; our editors like to view submissions blindly.
- In the Cover Letter field, say hi, but please include: Your first & last name, a third person bio (90 words or less) & one url to either your personal website or one social media account, & your astrological sun sign or birth date (we will be categorizing poems by sun signs on the site.)
- Please attach a photo of your beautiful face to place beside your bio if you wish to.
- Please include titles for all work, if there are pieces that are Untitled, please state so.
- Though not required, you will be given the option to send in audio of your poems upon acceptance. We take audio recorded from your smart phone, computer or in a studio, & can receive most all standard audio file formats. We expect you to be prepared to email the files to us 24 hours before your publication date.
- Not vital but we dig proper punctuation, & we don’t really dig rhyming poetry or when every line starts with a capital letter.
- Rights remain with the author, always. We gently ask that you mention us if your work is published in another publication or collection.