1. 8 AM Departure – The Perishers
An anthem for anyone in a long distance relationship, if you ask me.
- “I wish I could stay, you could call in sick and we could make out all day.”
2. Bloom – The Paper Kits
- “Oh, you fill my lungs with sweetness and you fill my head with you.”
3. I Was Just Thinking – Teitur
- “I think about long distance rates instead of kissing you, babe.”
4. You Are the Moon – The Hush Sound
- “You don’t see what you possess, a beauty calm and clear. It floods the sky and blurs the darkness like a chandelier.”
5. First Aid Kit – The Lion’s Roar
- “I’m a goddamn coward, but then again, so are you.”
6. Recessional – Vienna Teng
- “In the terminal she sleeps on my shoulder, hair falling forward, mouth all askew.”
7. Boys Don’t Cry – Plumb
- “You turn the TV on and tune me out again.”
8. You Had Time – Ani DiFranco
A song that speaks to my dream of a girl to love, a cottage in the woods, and a red pick-up truck.
- “You will take the heavy stuff and you will drive the car and I’ll look out the window and make jokes.”
Donna-Marie Riley currently resides in the South West of England. She is author of the poetry collection Love and Other Small Wars, published by Words Dance, and also featured in Between Sentiment and Sensation: Vol I, published by Red Paint Hill. She romanticizes cold coffee and bitten nails and she likes her poetry shaken, not stirred.